Our goal is to create space for great people to do great work and we are looking for a Senior Designer/Art Director to join our team.
We have four core values that we bring to our work and all our projects:
- Humanity – We acknowledge and respect the humanity in ourselves and others.
- Curiosity – We are curious about the world around us and the culture we live in.
- Intent – We don’t do things by accident.
- Grit – We find a way to make it happen.
We are looking for someone with 6-8 years of professional experience in design. The design team at Berlin works on many different types of graphic design and advertising projects, with the opportunity to take on Art Direction work as well. We are open to discussion around the appropriate title for this role based on your areas of expertise.
In the immediate future you’d be joining a team who is working from home but connected through regular team video calls and direct messages. While we hope to be back in the office in some way in the future, we are open to considering alternative or flexible work arrangements for the right candidate. Pre-Covid perks include health benefits for you and yours, flex days, professional development trips and top-shelf office coffee. We’ve still got most of them but these days the trips and coffee have been replaced with virtual professional development opportunities and occasional treats delivered to your door.
Find the full job description below:
Supervisor: Creative Director
Purpose of the role:
- Develop high-quality creative, in line with the brief and/or needs of the client
- Quality control/elevating and pushing the design work
- Idea/concept generation
- Develop concepts and communicate ideas.
- Create original designs that align to project goals and overall creative direction, fluid templates and meet a high standard.
- Collaborate with the project team to explore concepts and iterate on design layouts.
- Anticipate and solve for potential design challenges, as well as existing conditions.
- Prepare for creative reviews by outputting optimized files and presentation materials.
- Guide ideas to meet both creative and business goals within the project scope.
- Present persuasively and clearly articulate design rationale for project creative solutions.
- Consult with technical disciplines to ensure designs work within given limitations, and files are prepared with all necessary information to support the design intent.
- Review final deliverables with an exacting eye, ensuring that layout, images, and typography are flawless.
- Continually seek opportunities to refine design thinking and improve workflows.
- Reliable judgment to see when work may be “off track” and initiative to collaborate with others to find solutions.
- Passion for nurturing relationships, mentoring, and rallying teams to align around a vision.
- Ability to articulate ideas and be clearly understood by creative, project management and development staff, both in verbal and in written format.
- Clear communication and presentation skills that speak to both creative and technical audiences.
- Open mindedness and curiosity – about design and the world at large
- Humility and a strong work ethic
- Openness to the ideas of the rest of the creative team
- Ownership and commitment to excellent work
- Attention to detail and good time management skills
Qualifications and Experience:
- 6-8 years of experience specializing in visual design. Multi-disciplinary design experience is an asset.
- Experience with brainstorming, concept development and campaign execution.
- High proficiency in the formal elements of design, including typography, layout, balance, proportion, rhythm, emphasis, and unity.
- Adobe Creative Suite expertise, including intelligently organizing files for design iteration, setting up files for web production, and adhering to graphic design standards.
Let us know if you have familiarity with any of these additional items:
- Prototyping to convey preferred states, motion, and/or behaviours for interactive concepts.
- Understanding of web development, including HTML, CSS, iOS, and other technologies.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
If you’re interested in applying, please e-mail a cover letter, resume and link to your portfolio/works samples to email@example.com no later than March 12, 2021.
Please don’t wait to send in your application; we will be reviewing them and conducting interviews on an ongoing basis. We’re grateful for everyone’s interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.