What a couple years, huh?
As we settle into some exciting new projects for some new and some long-term clients, we’re making a few additions to the team. Is it tempting fate to say that we’re thinking 2022 will be great?
Berlin is an award-winning Edmonton-based agency in the business of positioning our clients to win on issues of public interest. Our goal is to create space for great people to do great work and we are looking for a full-time Account Manager to join our growing team.
We have four core values that we bring to our work and all our projects:
- Humanity – We acknowledge and respect the humanity in ourselves and others.
- Curiosity – We are curious about the world around us and the culture we live in.
- Intent – We don’t do things by accident.
- Grit – We find a way to make it happen.
And, as an agency, we consistently punch above our weight. Our award-winning team is small and made up of best-in-class folks. You’ll have the opportunity to work alongside our public relations leaders, our creative director, our strategists and the rest of the team. We work closely as a unit and you’ll be part of that top-performing, supportive and integrated group – there’s no real creative/accounts divide here, and the partners at Berlin work alongside the rest of the team as we work to solve complex, interesting and meaningful challenges. You’re not going to be stuck doing simple, boring bits as you learn the ropes – here, you will be right in the fun, challenging work with us, from day one.
We are looking for an outgoing and organized manager with 3-6 years of professional experience in project management and/or client services, ideally at an advertising agency or in a communications-related position. We are open to discussion around the appropriate title for this role based on your areas of expertise.
The successful candidate will be expected to manage their own clients. Typically, 5 or 6 at a time. Our account team is a critical part of our success on any given project. Supported by our account director and the rest of the team, you’ll be the primary contact for some of our biggest clients and interact with them on an almost daily basis. To do this job you must have an understanding of marketing and communications and project management. You’ll be responsible for not only advising the client and briefing the creative team, but making sure all the pieces are in place and the project stays on time and on budget.
In this posting, we’ve outlined the skills and qualifications that we find best prepare people for this kind of role. Most of all, though, we want someone who is a skilled writer, someone with strong attention to detail and a commitment to quality and exceeding expectations. If you lack any of the specific qualifications we list in the posting, but think that you have the right qualities, please feel free to make a case for yourself. Some of our strongest account people have come from sociology, journalism, politics or design backgrounds – but they embody our values, write well and are fully committed to our clients and projects.
In the short-term you’d be joining a team who is working from home but connected through regular team video calls and direct messages. However, we plan to be back in our office in downtown Edmonton in some way in the future. Pre-Covid perks include health benefits for you and yours, flex days, professional development trips and top-shelf office coffee. We’ve still got most of them but these days the trips and coffee have been replaced with virtual learning opportunities and occasional treats delivered to your door.
Purpose of the role:
- Ensuring that we continually offer value to our clients
- Support in research and insight generation
- Ensuring that clients have a positive experience
- Mentoring and supporting junior account staff
- Moving work through the agency
- Project scoping and planning
- Strategy and recommendation writing
- Leading client and internal meetings
- Key account management
- Ensuring the senior team is kept up to date on key milestones and deliverables.
- Setting up projects from an administrative standpoint
- Identifying issues and possible solutions – bringing those issues and solutions to partners
- Project budget tracking and forecasting
- Project progress tracking
- Liaising with the creative team
- Confidence and comfort dealing with clients
- Attention to detail – setting that example for other account team members on projects
- A “desire to please” – not acting as a “yes” person, but seeking out ways to build clients’ trust in Berlin by being attuned to what matters to them
- Experience solving problems
- Alignment with our core values
Qualifications and Experience:
- 3-6+ years in progressively responsible project management roles
- Experience serving internal or external clients
- Strong knowledge of office software – Excel, Word, PPT, etc…
- Strong writing and communications skills
- Experience working at an advertising agency or in-house agency model environment
- Experience managing mass campaigns including traditional and digital media
- Project management training
- Experience working with government, public-sector, and/or member-based organizations
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, arts, or communications
We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. Wherever we’re able, we want to add people to the team that will bring a new perspective – diversity in lived experience brings so much value to a team like ours, and we’re always looking to find new ways to do that.
The annual salary range for this position is $52,000 to $60,000 and includes:
- three weeks of vacation
- five days of personal flex time
- an extended Christmas break
- phone allowance
- learning and education allowance
- health benefits plan
Berlin ensures that we provide our employees and clients a safe and healthy environment. To help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we require that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination as part of the hiring process. We will accommodate employees who are unable to be vaccinated for medical or other reasons protected by human rights legislation in Alberta.
If you’re interested in applying, please e-mail a cover letter, resume to our Account Director, Willie Lee, firstname.lastname@example.org,no later than March 4, 2022.
Please don’t wait to send in your application; we will be reviewing them and conducting interviews on an ongoing basis. We’re grateful for everyone’s interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Thanks for your interest – we can’t wait to meet the next Berliner.